Monday, January 4, 2010

"Grow Up"

What does it mean to be adult? I would guess most people aren't burden with this question, as they just emulate what other adults are doing. It's regional. But what does that mean? To me, I guess the standard answer is get a house, get a car, get a good job (but not necessarily a respectable one), get a wife or a serious partner, get some kids, be part of the community, and generally just get arbitrary obligations and responsibilities. From the offset, most adults seem like, well, adults. But hardly any I know demonstrate a life experience, especially devoid of any richness. It seems the older you get, the duller you get. The more you have to live in this modern world, this stupid society. Well, I say fuck that. I don't want a goddamn family. I don't want a goddamn car. I don't want a goddamn house. And fuck the community. I can only guess once I venture out of my hometown, I'll be ridiculed for my lack of knowledge concerning "adult" things. That term implies that the standard that is set is the correct one. Which is bullshit.

No comments: