Sunday, April 26, 2009

Massively Multiplayer Blah Blahs

I have a bone to pick with MMO players. Let's just, first, put this notion that if you happen to loathe MMOs, it does not make you anti-social. I'm not I'm not, just saying that doesn't automatically qualify me as one, just for hating that particular genre of gaming entertainment. Let's take a look at a few good qualities, and plenty of bad, about MMOs.

First, most are a game where you can find plenty of people to play with and befriend. I mean, I know the huge popularity and closeness that people in guilds have.

Second, those games are never short. Lots of time and toil for a rewarding experience.

Third---- I got nothing
Now for the bad:

The biggest flaw, obviously, has to be the people. You get those quests that required upwards of ten players, and you are bound to get some stupid, or stubborn people. That fact alone turns me away. But, there is more.

The constant grind. I like games that simulate at least a tiny bit of reality. Pointing and clicking.. just feels so impersonal. The toil, hell, it got to me in the first few days of playing the trial of the most popular one, World of Warcraft. Don't get me wrong. I am not a huge fan of FPSs. I like a few, but I like the ones with strategy, i.e. Rainbow Six series. And I like RPGs. Of course, I like Action RPG, i.e. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect.

I like to have FUN with my games. Geez, the way I hear some people talk, MMOs is like a second job to them. Like its habit, or something. I like to sit back, and play my games with a slowed pace, not a frantic hurry. My day is frantic enough, I do not require it in my entertainment as well.
And don't even get me started on immersion.

So, I am not some sort of antisocial troll if I don't like MMOs. It just means I prefer relaxation and fun, not another job after I leave my primary one. Now if you are getting paid for it, then that's a different story.

No comments: